söndag 28 augusti 2011

By the number of letters in the words of the titles

Yes, by the number of letters in the words of the titles, and yes, I have done this at home. And I kind of liked it.

More specifically, the system is like this: First, books where the first word in the title (on the spine) is one letter. Second, books where the first word in the title is two letters. And then, for the internal order in the group, by each word in the title according to length. If necessary, thereafter by the number of letters in the author's name. To illustrate, it began like this:

Q (1)
I de röda damens slott (1, 2, 4 ...) [It's misspelled on the spine; misspellings count.]
I en förvandlad stad (1, 2, 10 ...)
A spy in the house of love (1, 3, 2 ...)
A man betrayed (1, 3, 8) [J. V. Jones]
V for vendetta (1, 3, 8) [Alan Moore]
A walk on the wild side (1, 4, 2, 3, 4 ...)
A tale of two cities (1, 4, 2, 3, 6)
A game of thrones (1, 4, 2, 7)
A doll's house (1, 5 ...)
I Brokiga Blads vatten (1, 7 ...)
I främmande land (1, 9, 4)
A dalliance with the damned (1, 9, 4, 3 ...)
54 (2)

While I was organizing this, I was heard mumbling to myself: three five three three, three five three four, three five three four four...

And it turned out well! Systematic and asymmetric, like I like it. Of course, the asymmetry was broken by authors who do formulaic titles. All the Harry Potter books ended up together, but that's ok since I have almost all of them in different editions anyway. Other authors who were lumped together are Jim Butcher, Tanya Huff and Rob Thurman. But that's their own faults, and anyway, I forgive them. Here's how it looked:
But eventually, of course, I got bored with this too.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar